Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wake Up!

     I find it fitting to begin the first "true" post with the idea of waking up. The image of rising from sleep of course brings with it the suggestion of a beginning. It also, of course, echoes the title of this blog.

    But before I enter into the main subject of this post I'd like the preface it with a little about the events that, in a way, inspired the following thoughts.

    I recently picked up the new book "Love Wins" by Rob Bell. I wished to read this book mainly for the controversy that it has caused within the Christian community. One thing I've come to learn about myself is how I do enjoy controversy. I appreciate things that cause disquiet among its audience; believing that it fosters conversation. When space is allowed for conversation, many important events can transpire, countless things can be learned. 
   So I began this book and I'm startled at the conviction I have found within it; the conviction it's created in me. The book caused me to the reevaluate the way in which I live. I won't go into to detail about the contents of “Love Wins" in this post, perhaps in the future. Just know that Bell's words provoked me to introspection which led to the following words.

     We must wake up! Myself included. We must make ourselves new every day.
     You see. I've spent the majority of my life in darkness; a perpetual state of gloom. Even after all I have learned and the immeasurable amount of Grace I've received, I still succumb daily to the negativity I've made a close companion for years. 
     I struggle to live in hope.
    This world struggles to live in hope.
    This must change.
    We can mourn our lost humanity all we want but without taking hold of our righteous anger and acting against injustice, it's all in vain. We must hope, and act with it.
    
    What I am trying to convey is this idea that mankind has a problem with letting all the bad in the world and in himself weigh him down, discourage him, and produce in him a hopeless apathy. This despair then allows the injustices of the world to run amok. 
     We must wake up!
     We must ask God to breathe new life into us daily; allowing him to break and reform us, like a fractured bone reset to be made strong again. My desire, my hope is that we can be rebuilt daily; made into a more durable structure less likely to be compromised. A monument to the hope and love of Christ.
      This can start today. And although our consistent failure is a reality, we will be picked back up. We will wake and rise again with a Hope, Grace, and Love that sustains us.

Psalm 51:17 "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, 
O God, you will not despise"

Peace be with you.

  -Justin



3 comments:

  1. Very, VERY good, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall have to read this book sometime... I have heard it is a good read... thanks for sharing your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration friend! I really needed to hear that! :)

    ReplyDelete