Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Stop.

Stop.
Stop for just a moment and be grateful.

Today I spent most of the early afternoon upset; cleaning my kitchen. My mind tends to race when I’m angered or worried. It spins about, jumping from one subject to the next without taking a breath to properly react to the issue.

My computer’s mouse pad is unresponsive.
How much more will the cost of living go up?
I’m sick of cleaning this damn kitchen.
I hate my job.
I’m tired of paying back college debt.
The whole world seems like it’s falling apart completely.

On and on and on until I can’t do much but watch all these anxieties build up. They compile until I swear I see Destruction strolling down the street on his way to pay me a visit: doom at my doorstep.
It’s hard to break this pattern of thought. But then, gently, a different thought snuck in;
At least I have a kitchen to clean.

I stopped and smiled.

I have a kitchen to clean. I have 10 dollars to purchase a USB mouse for my computer. I have a job that’s paying my bills. The world’s problems are too large for me to fix alone but there are small things I can do.

These different thoughts came flooding in and I realized I had nothing to be upset about. Worry entices us to despair, condemning us to fixate on the unpredictability of the future. In it we only see what we don’t have, won’t do, or can’t be. Worry is a dangerous thing. We quickly forget that today is all that we have. Right now. It’s all you’ve got. Seconds could pass from now and a piano could plunge through your roof and crush you dead where you sit. We only have the moment we exist in. Why spend it worrying about the things that aren’t promised. As I’ve always tried to say: The sun will come up tomorrow and if it doesn’t, we’re going to have more important issues to worry about.

So take the time spent worrying and use it elsewhere. Try loving more, creating, laughing, or simply being grateful because we have breath in our lungs, a place to sleep, and food to eat. We could, more importantly, spend it helping those who aren’t afforded those luxuries.

Try it, this being grateful business. We aren’t perfect; we will fail at times but try it.
Stop for a moment and be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment